Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pumping Iron

When I moved to the "big city" a few weeks ago my DH was so excited to finally be able to play raquetball any time he wanted at the local "big box" gym. Rather than stay home by myself I joined with him and started going to swim while he played, well mostly it was so I had an excuse to sit in the jacuzzi!!

While I was paddling back and forth in the pool (why I can't swim is for another blog) I was looking at the mural on the wall -
Before you can Achieve Anything you have to Expect it of Yourself
It got me to thinking about what I expect of myself and I came up with a few things:
  • I expect to continue my journey and achieve optimal health
  • I expect to share my journey with as many people as I can
  • I expect to be an example of what you can achieve
So I'm paddling back and forth and through the glass wall I can see all the other members working out and I say to myself, "Self - you can do that too. Get your fanny out of the pool and talk to the coaches - see what you can do!". So my Self and I did that!

This week started my first week with the trainer - and she kicked my f.......!

But the funny part is tonight I was in the "weight room" - you know where all the guys hang out - now I'm a grandma - I'm not now or never will be one of the beautiful people or "Barbies" at the gym - so I'm hanging out doing my bicep curls and I happen to see this big muscly guy laughing at me. Yes, I was quite a sight - there I was standing with my itty bitty 5# weights lifting with all my might!

My first thought was a timid - OK, we all have to start somewhere! But then the thought came to me
I HAVE BIRTHED 5 CHILDREN - NATURALLY!
YOU HAVEN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET!!
BRING IT ON BIG BOY!
MOMMA IS THE HOUSE!!!!

I smiled all the way home!

Original Post Date: Mar 10, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment