Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Italian Job

I movies filmed in Italy! Beautiful sports cars driving down beautiful winding Italian roads. Shots of Venice, Rome and the Italian Alps. So the 'Italian Job' moves to the top of the list along with some of my other 'set in Italy' favorite movies like Oceans 12, Only You and Roman Holiday.

As with all great movies there are some quotes that make it into our everyday communications. Like, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d**m!", "You talkin' to me? You talking' to me? You TALKIN' to me?" and who can forget "I'll be back!"? But I really love this quote from the Italian Job:

John Bridger: I feel so optimistic. How do you feel?
Charlie Croker: [shrugging] I'm fine.
John Bridger: Fine? You know what "fine" stands for, don't you?
Charlie Croker: Yeah, unfortunately.
John Bridger: Freaked out...
Charlie Croker: Insecure...
John Bridger: Neurotic...
Charlie Croker: And Emotional.

Every time someone asks me how I am and I answer - fine, or when I hear some one say they are fine I think of the Italian Job's F.I.N.E.

So I found myself struggling lately with being F.I.N.E. - freaked, insecure, neurotic and emotional about my weight loss. I had taken some time off from active weight loss and had been maintaining for about 3 months, but I wasn't happy about it. Then I realized I really hadn't made it to my goal yet. Yes, I was down 60 pounds, which in my former life would have been goal and then some, but my final goal was really still about 25 pounds away. And I knew I really needed to get there.


So I kept asking myself, why aren't you getting motivated? You can do this! You know the plan works! Why aren't you doing it? Everyone else is doing it! I'd really lost my mojo! When it finally dawned on me the other day that I was struggling with my inner B.R.A.T. Yes, I was beign a BRAT!

Me: Why are you struggling?
Myself: Because I want to! I'm being a BRAT!
Me: You know what BRAT stands for don't you?
Myself: Yeah, unfortunately.
Me: A Belligerent...
Myself: Rebellious...
Me: Antagonistic...
Myself: Twerp Throwing Temper Tantrums!

I didn't want to give up my comforts! I had worked so hard to loose the weight that I thought it would be okay to just cruise for awhile. A little "treat" now and then wouldn't hurt. Where have you heard that one before?!!

Bottom Line: I wanted what I wanted and I didn't want to be told no!

"No! You can't have those mint filled chocolate chips on your brownie!" You know fruits are not on plan during weight loss phase, even though it is summer time and the only time watermelons are good. Or, I love this one "Just this one bite (of bread, or cheese, or nuts, or whatever non-plan food) won't hurt".

Don't get done in by being F.I.N.E. or a B.R.A.T.! If your weight loss is not going as well as you'd like, you've hit a "plateau" or you're struggling with perceived deprivations, take a minute and ask yourself -
AM I BEING A B.R.A.T?


Original Post Date: Jul 3, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment